Aug 6, 2013

Love you Forever Wall Art - Recycle




Hubby & I celebrated our anniversary a few weeks ago, this was my gift to him.

From Millan.Net

An overall easy project though a bit time consuming.


It all started with some used cherry kitchen cabinet doors.



I cut out my words on my Cricut die cutting machine, using Magic Cover self-adhesive shelf liner. Shelf liner, rather than vinyl, is a much less expensive choice when you're using it as a mask that will be thrown away when the project is done.



After positioning the words, I painted the entire cabinet door with Krylon satin spray paint. When the paint was dry-to-the-touch, I removed the self adhesive words and cleaned up the edges of the letters with my X-Acto knife. There were only a few spots where paint had 'seeped' in and it easily came off when I gently scraped it.

Then letting the cabinet door dry well overnight, I distressed it  
with sandpaper.




I added an embossed carved wood piece to embellish it a bit but couldn't find one in a matching cherry finish. So after painting it white I sanded off the high spots and sponged on some Ranger Distress Ink to compliment the worn look of the cabinet door.



I really like the rustic look and it will look perfect hanging over my hubby's night stand when we are finished with our bedroom makeover.


This Randy Travis song was stuck in my head the entire time I worked on this project!


Have you created any DIY projects with recycled items?




Follow on Bloglovin
♥ Follow Me On Bloglovin'

I shared today's project with -

8 comments:

  1. Maria, this is gorgeous, and I hope you and your hubby had a wonderful anniversary, hun xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fabulous - love love the reuse and what a gorgeous thing to do and for your hubby :-) And a belated Happy Anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous project. You are the recycle queen. LOL Happy late anniversary.
    Have a creative day.
    Hugs Nana
    ♥ My Crafting Channel ♥
    ♥ 2 Creative Chicks ♥
    ♥ Silhouette Challenges ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow this is gorgeous beautiful done and made.

    greetings karin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, wow! How beautiful, Maria! And so clever and creative, too! LOVE that you recycled an old cabinet door for this. And thanks for your tips shelf liner!

    ReplyDelete
  6. so what would I use if I don't have a cricut cutting machine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danya, you could use stickers or print out your phrase and cut it out, attach it to the wood with a tacky spray adhesive.
      Sorry I couldn't reply to you directly, I couldn't find any contact info for you.

      Delete
  7. Hi,
    Can you share the fonts you used? I love this!

    -Jody

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, I enjoy hearing from you!
Blessings, Maria